PORTLAND IS BUILT ON OUR ECOSYSTEM. OREGON IS BUILT ON OUR ECOSYSTEM.
THE EARTH IS IN OUR HANDS.
As a Portland-based company, we find it incredibly important to take care of our ecosystem on both a local and worldwide level. We pride ourselves in taking steps to better not just ourselves as an organization and brand, but helping others understand the importance of thinking more sustainably. Below are some of the efforts that we've made as a brand to mitigate our carbon footprint, cut down on waste, and serve as an example for others to follow.
SUSTAINABILITY AT THE BRAND LEVEL
- Raising awareness from a small business standpoint.
- We realize the impact we can have on our community and consistently use our platform for education and reliable information on the subject of our climate and how to preserve it.
- Using recycled materials and redesigning items like our retail bags and parcel bags to be more eco-friendly.
- We recently switched to recycled boxes and tree rubber-based tape to ship your orders to you in a less wasteful manner.
- Not using plastic bags to pack shirts and only using cardboard boxes when needed.
- We've ditched the plastic wrap our shirts once came in, not only eliminating the excess waste of plastic, but also giving us good practice in folding! 😉
- Supporting charities and organizations that are doing important climate work.
- During the Australian wildfires in the Fall of 2019, we created a shirt that donated 100% of its proceeds to the Amazon Watch foundation. Additionally, the shirt we printed on was an AllMade blank, meaning it contained at least six recycled water bottles!
- Working with brands like AllMade to create shirts with less of a carbon footprint.
- A frequent collaborator with us, AllMade uses blanks woven with recycled materials, helping mitigate the cost and ecological footprint that the production of shirts usually comes with.
- Having conversations about sustainability as a group and listening to what our community has to say, along with bringing in trusted professionals to educate us on how to become more sustainable as a brand.
- Connections to the aforementioned AllMade brand as well as a handful of other individuals help inform our efforts in becoming more sustainable every day!
INTRODUCING THE PORTLAND GEAR CLEANUP CREW
If you're a Portland Gear Ambassador, you know that we've done a handful of street cleanups with Solve Oregon. Now, we're excited to introduce to you the Portland Gear Cleanup Crew! Trained by Solve themselves, we're now certified to host cleanups every month. Click the link to apply! Come out and help pickup trash around the city, and have fun doing it! Learn more about Solve Oregon with the 2nd link below!
SUSTAINABILITY AT THE INDIVIDUAL LEVEL
Here are a few small steps that have a big impact on the world. Acting sustainably doesn't have to be difficult! Try and implement one or more of these tips into your daily life. Start today!
- Lobbying for climate policies to mitigate the effects of climate change
- Get informed! Attend talks, social gatherings, and do your own research to find out what's going on on a political level. Get involved!
- Use reusable utensils!
- Everywhere we go, we at Portland Gear keep our handy dandy reusable utensils to cut down on plastic use. Made sustainably out of bamboo, these reusables are the perfect addition to your bag!
- Encourage others!
- Open a dialogue with your friends, family, or coworkers about climate change and what you or they can do to act more sustainably. The change starts with you; make sure raise awareness in your community whenever you can!
- Support Sustainable Brands! Here are some of our favorites.
HAVE IDEAS OR FEEDBACK? REACH OUT!
READ OUR BLOG POST ON 10 THINGS YOU CAN DO FOR THE PLANET FROM HOME!