SUSTAINABILITY AT THE BRAND LEVEL
- Raising awareness from a small business standpoint.
- We realize the impact we can have on our community and consistently use our platform for education and reliable information on the subject of our climate and how to preserve it.
- We realize that using our platform to not only advocate but educate individuals who follow our social media platforms. We do this by sharing resources, hosting clean up events, and pushing those improve their practices at home.
- We are proud members of the "Oregon Business for Climate Organization". OBC is a league of Oregon businesses that believes urgent, ambitious, equitable climate policies and programs—designed to help spur innovation and economic opportunity, while effectively and responsibly reducing emissions—are critical to the health of Oregon’s industries, people and communities, and will help drive the progress needed for our state to re-emerge as a leader thriving in the growing clean economy.
- We implemented a feature on our website called "Eco-Cart" which allows customers to pay 1% more and carbon offset their orders. Over 50% choose to do just that!
- Using recycled materials and redesigning items like our retail bags and parcel bags to be more eco-friendly.
- We switched to recycled boxes and biodegradable tape to ship your orders to you in a less wasteful manner.
- The mailing bags we use to ship shirts, hoodies and other soft goods are 100% biodegradable, home compostable, and plant-based! No plastic used.
- Not using plastic bags to pack shirts and only using cardboard boxes when needed.
- We've ditched the plastic wrap our shirts once came in, not only eliminating the excess waste of plastic, but also giving us good practice in folding!
- Supporting charities and organizations that are doing important climate work.
- During the Australian wildfires in the Fall of 2019, we created a shirt that donated 100% of its proceeds to the Amazon Watch foundation. Additionally, the shirt we printed on was an AllMade blank, meaning it contained at least six recycled water bottles!
- We are strong advocates of local eco-organizations such as Tuesdays for Trash and Solve Oregon.
- Working with brands like AllMade to create shirts with less of a carbon footprint.
- A frequent collaborator with us, AllMade uses blanks woven with recycled materials, helping mitigate the cost and ecological footprint that the production of shirts usually comes with.
- Having conversations about sustainability as a group and listening to what our community has to say, along with bringing in trusted professionals to educate us on how to become more sustainable as a brand.
- Connections to the aforementioned AllMade brand as well as a handful of other individuals help inform our efforts in becoming more sustainable every day!
PARTNERSHIP WITH SOLVE OREGON
If you're a Portland Gear Ambassador, you know that we've done a handful of street cleanups with Solve Oregon. Now, we're excited to introduce to you the Portland Gear Cleanup Crew! Trained by Solve themselves, we're now certified to host cleanups every month. Click the link to apply! Come out and help pickup trash around the city, and have fun doing it! Learn more about Solve Oregon with the 2nd link below!
EARTHDAY 2021 RECAP
SUSTAINABILITY AT THE INDIVIDUAL LEVEL
Here are a few small steps that have a big impact on the world. Acting sustainably doesn't have to be difficult! Try and implement one or more of these tips into your daily life. Start today!
- Lobbying for climate policies to mitigate the effects of climate change
- Get informed! Attend talks, social gatherings, and do your own research to find out what's going on on a political level. Get involved!
- Use reusable utensils!
- Everywhere we go, we at Portland Gear keep our handy dandy reusable utensils to cut down on plastic use. Made sustainably out of bamboo, these reusables are the perfect addition to your bag!
- Encourage others!
- Open a dialogue with your friends, family, or coworkers about climate change and what you or they can do to act more sustainably. The change starts with you; make sure raise awareness in your community whenever you can!
- Support Sustainable Brands! Here are some of our favorites.
HAVE IDEAS OR FEEDBACK? REACH OUT!
CLICK THE IMAGE TO READ OUR BLOG POST ON 10 THINGS YOU CAN DO FOR THE PLANET FROM HOME!